Centrelink phone self service
Offers a range of options for you to access and update your information over the phone. You can use it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Self service line
Call 136 240 to:
- check payment information, such as past and future payments
- update your family income estimate
- complete your Rent Assistance review
- apply for an advance payment
- hear your Working Credit or Income Bank balance
- ask for a mailed copy of documents.
You can ask for document copies, such as income statements or replacement concession or health care cards.
Call 133 276 each fortnight to:
- report your employment income
- tell us if you've met your Mutual Obligation Requirements in your Job Plan.
To register for phone self service you can either:
If you phone us, we’ll ask you to create a voiceprint. This is optional.
Read more about how to creating a voiceprint.
When you call, have both your:
- Customer Access Number (CAN)
- PIN, if you haven't created a voiceprint.
When you hear the prompts:
- say your CAN, including the letter at the end
- repeat the pass phrase for voiceprint or key your PIN
- select from the menu options.
Once you’re familiar with the menu options, you can say what you want as soon as the list starts. The service will guide you through the rest.
Speak naturally, you don't need to talk loud or slow.
CANs and CRNs
We use these numbers to recognise your personal record. Your CAN will generally be the same as your Customer Reference Number (CRN).
Some people have a different number for their CAN and CRN. This might happen if you claim online. If this applies, use your:
- CAN when using self service or calling any of our payment lines
- CRN when talking to staff in a service centre.
If you have trouble using phone self service, stay on the line. The service will connect you to one of our staff. We're available:
- 8 am to 8 pm local time
- Monday to Friday.
Sometimes we have scheduled or unscheduled service interruptions. Check customer service changes for information on these.
Page last updated: 1 February 2019