How to set up deductions
It’s easy to set up Centrepay deductions.
You can set them up one of the following ways:
- by asking the business you want to pay, to set it up for you
- online using your Centrelink online account through myGov
- using the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app on your mobile device
- at a service centre with help from our staff
- by calling us on your regular payment number.
Once you’ve agreed to have a Centrepay deduction, we pay the business for you, out of your Centrelink payment. We’ll send you a letter telling you we’ve set up your deduction. You can also check your deduction summary online.
The lowest amount we can deduct is $10 per fortnight.
When it will start
You can tell us when to start your deduction. This could be either:
- for your next Centrelink payment
- anytime up to 8 weeks in advance.
We’ll deduct the money every fortnight. We’ll do this on the same day you get your Centrelink payment.
If you tell us to change or start a deduction we’ll deduct the money from your next payment. If you tell us within 5 business days before your next payment, it may not start until the following fortnight.
If you have more than 1 deduction, you need to check the order you asked us to pay them in. We’ll pay them in the order we received your requests, unless you ask us to change the order.
What details do you need
You’ll need all of the following details:
- your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN)
- the bill details, such as the account or billing number
- the name of the business you’re paying
- the business address and phone number if you have them
- the business's CRN.
To find the business CRN, search Find a Business. Their CRN will always start with 555.
What choices you need to make
You must choose:
- how much you want us to deduct each fortnight
- which Centrelink payment you want the deduction to come out of
- the date you want us to make the first deduction
- when you want the deductions to end.
You can set:
- an end date, no more than 52 weeks after the start date
- a target amount, of the total amount you need to pay.
You can set these at any time.
Step by step guides to using Centrepay deductions
We’ve got guides to help you with your Centrepay deductions.
Follow our step by step guides to:
- add a new Centrepay deduction
- cancel a current Centrepay deduction
- update or suspend a current Centrepay deduction.
You can read how to register for a Centrelink online account.
When to check your deductions
Check your deductions online regularly to make sure they’re correct. Read more about how to keep track of your Centrepay deductions.
If they’re not correct, you can manage them:
- using your Centrelink online account through myGov
- in the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app
- by contacting the business and asking them to update them.
If you’ve paid too much to a business, you can:
- reduce the ongoing amount
- suspend your deduction for a period of up to 13 weeks
- ask them to refund you the amount.
If we take a deduction you didn’t authorise, call us on your regular payment line as soon as possible. We’ll check your deduction and tell you what you need to do, or follow it up for you.
What if a business doesn’t use Centrepay
You can only use Centrepay to pay a business that we've approved.
You can pay any business that has Centrepay as a payment option. If a business doesn’t have Centrepay you’ll have to pay them using another payment option. For example, BPAY or direct debit.
You can ask a business if they would use Centrepay as a payment option.
Businesses can read more about Centrepay in Centrepay for Businesses and apply to use the service. Please remember, some businesses may not be eligible and won’t be able to get payments through Centrepay.
What happens if I stop or cancel my Centrepay deduction
You can choose to stop or cancel a Centrepay deduction at any time. If you do, make sure you have other arrangements in place to pay your bills or ongoing expenses another way.
If you would like to restart the deduction in the future, you’ll need to give your consent again. This means you need to set up the deduction again. To restart your deduction contact the business or us.
Page last updated: 23 January 2019
This information was printed 22 August 2019 from https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/centrepay/how-use-it/how-set-deductions. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.