Someone to deal with us on your behalf

You can have an authorised representative deal with us on your behalf. You can authorise them to enquire, act or get payments for you.



You can choose a person or an organisation to be your correspondence or payment nominee.

They can be a different person or organisation for each nominee type or the same for both.

This does not stop you from dealing with us yourself.

You can cancel your nominee at any time. Call us on your regular payment line or use your online account through myGov.

Correspondence nominee

Your correspondence nominee can do a lot of Centrelink things for you. This includes:

  • asking us questions about your payments or services
  • telling us of changes to your circumstances
  • completing and signing forms and statements
  • coming to appointments with you or, if appropriate, on your behalf
  • getting copies of your letters from us.

They can complete online transactions for you too including:

  • completing all or part of an online claim, for some payments and concession cards
  • completing rent assistance reviews
  • reporting employment income
  • requesting and uploading documents such as income statements, payment summaries, Centrelink statements and rent certificates
  • requesting a replacement concession card
  • viewing and updating income and assets
  • viewing, adding or changing deductions.

Correspondence nominees can also change your payment details or where your payment goes. They’ll be able to do this if there’s no payment nominee arrangement.

Your correspondence nominee must:

  • advise us of any changes in your circumstances within 14 days and within 28 days if outside Australia
  • act in your best interest
  • tell us of any changes that may affect their ability to be your nominee.

You’re at risk of not meeting your obligations if your nominee doesn’t:

  • respond to a request
  • tell us of any of your changes.

Payment nominee

Your payment nominee gets and uses your Centrelink payments on your behalf.

They can make or change deductions from your payment. They can also ask certain questions about your payment, like, what your payment consists of.

Your payment nominee must:

  • get your Centrelink payments
  • use your payments only for your benefit
  • act in your best interest
  • tell us of any changes that may affect their ability to be your nominee
  • keep records on how they spend the money.

We can review spending records at any time. If your nominee doesn’t give us this information, they may get a monetary penalty.

Making a nominee arrangement

You can do this online or by completing a printed form.

Do it online

You can manage your nominee arrangements using your Centrelink online account.

Both you and the person you want to be your nominee, need to have a Centrelink online account. If either of you don’t have one, register now.

Your nominee will need to respond to the nominee request in their Centrelink online account within 14 days.

If you need help doing this, read the Centrelink online help guides for nominees.

Fill in a form

Fill in the Authorising a person or organisation to enquire or act on your behalf form. Then post or fax it to us or take it to a service centre.

We will need to see your nominee’s identity documents unless your nominee is an organisation.

Person permitted to enquire

You can choose a person or an organisation to ask about your Centrelink payments and services.

You can give permission online for your partner to enquire. You can do this using your Centrelink online account. You can also remove their permission online.

You can also complete the Authorising a person or organisation to enquire or act on your behalf form. Or, you can call us.

Status Resolution Support Services Payment

You can authorise a person or organisation to ask on your behalf about your Status Resolution Support Services Payment.


A person can act on your behalf for Medicare purposes when either:

  • they’re your appointed Power of Attorney (POA)
  • a court or tribunal has appointed them as your guardian and administrator
  • we’ve accepted them as your authorised representative.

Power of Attorney or guardian and administration orders

Use a Power of Attorney (POA) or guardianship and administration order, to appoint someone to act on your behalf. The POA or order must show your representative can act on your behalf for financial matters.

You’ll need to provide us with both of the following:

  • an original or a certified copy of the POA document or guardianship and administration order
  • a written letter of request which includes your Medicare number.

You can do this by post or at a service centre.

Authorised representative

You can nominate yourself to be an authorised representative. You can only do this if the person you want to represent can’t manage their own affairs. It must be due to a medical condition or disability.

To be someone’s authorised representative, you must be all of the following:

  • over 18 years old
  • their close friend or relative
  • not their paid carer from any organisation, institution or community health care service.

To apply, complete an Authorisation to act on a person’s behalf form. We also need original or certified copies of all of the following:

  • current photo ID
  • a statutory declaration which states how you know them and your care arrangements for them
  • evidence you act on their behalf for a similar arrangement
  • evidence that the person is unable to manage their own affairs.

Refer to the Authorisation to act on a person’s behalf form for examples of documents you should give us.

You can do this by post or at a service centre.

The postal address is on the form.

Aged Care

You can appoint a nominee to deal with us on your behalf if you are either:

  • in residential aged care
  • getting a home care package.

Child Support

You can choose a person or organisation to be your child support representative. They will be able to:

  • ask us questions
  • give us information
  • have access to and discuss your child support information.

This person must be 18 or older. They shouldn’t be:

  • a child who you paid or get child support for, even if they’ve turned 18
  • the other parent in your child support case.

You can choose:

  • the date they’ll stop representing you
  • the details they can know and discuss
  • if they can arrange for you to pay us child support you owe
  • if they can update your contact details with us.

They can’t:

How to appoint a Child Support representative

You can either:

A letter of authorisation should tell us:

  • enough information to identify your representative
  • the details you want them to discuss with us
  • the date they’ll stop representing you.

Then submit it either:

Page last updated: 30 October 2019