It’s easy to set up Centrepay deductions.
How to set up a deduction
You can set them up:
- by asking the business you want to pay, to set it up for you
- online using your Centrelink online account through myGov
- using the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app on your mobile device
- at a service centre with help from our staff, or
- by calling us on your regular payment number
Once you have given your consent, we pay the business for you, out of your Centrelink payment. We may send you a letter telling you we have set up your deduction. You can also check online.
The lowest amount we can deduct is $10 per fortnight.
When it will start
You can tell us when to start your deduction. This could be:
- for your next Centrelink payment, or
- anytime up to 8 weeks in advance
We will deduct the money every fortnight. We will do this on the same day you get your Centrelink payment.
If you tell us to change or start a deduction we’ll deduct the money from your next payment. If you tell us within 5 business days before your next payment, it may not start until the following fortnight.
If you have more than one deduction, you need to check the order you asked us to pay them in. We’ll pay them in the order we received your requests unless you ask us to change the order.
What details do you need
- your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN)
- the bill details, such as the account or billing number
- the name of the business you’re paying
- the business address and phone number if you have them
- the business CRN
To find the business CRN, search Find a Business. The business CRN will always start with 555.
What choices you need to make
You must choose:
- how much you want us to deduct each fortnight
- which Centrelink payment you want the deduction to come out of
- the date you want us to make the first deduction
- when you want the deductions to end
- set an end date - no more than 52 weeks after the start date
- set a target amount of the total amount you need to pay
- leave it open for now
Follow our step by step guides to Centrepay deductions including cancelling a deduction.
When to check your deductions
Check your deductions online regularly to make sure they’re correct.
If they’re not correct, you can manage them:
- using your Centrelink online account through myGov
- in the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app, or
- by contacting the business to update them
If you’ve paid too much to a business, you can:
- reduce the ongoing amount
- suspend your deduction for a period of up to 13 weeks, or
- ask them to refund you the amount
If we take a deduction you didn’t authorise, you should contact us as soon as possible. We’ll check your deduction and tell you what you need to do, or follow it up for you.
What if a business doesn’t use Centrepay
You can only use Centrepay to pay a business that we have approved.
You can pay any business that has Centrepay as a payment option. If a business doesn’t have Centrepay you’ll have to pay them using another payment option. For example, BPay or direct debit.
You can ask a business if they would use Centrepay as a payment option.
Businesses can read more about Centrepay in Centrepay for Businesses and apply to use the service. Please remember some businesses may not be eligible and won’t be able to get payments through Centrepay.
What happens if I stop or cancel my Centrepay deduction
You can choose to stop or cancel your Centrepay deduction at any time. If you do, make sure you have other arrangements in place to pay your bills or ongoing expenses another way.
If you would like to restart this deduction in the future you will need to provide your consent again. To restart your deduction contact the business or us. You will need to give your consent at the same time.