Paying bills

You can use Centrepay to pay any business that accepts it.

Search and find a business that offers Centrepay as an option.

What you can pay for

You can use Centrepay for a range of goods and services, regular bills and for ongoing expenses.

If you’re not sure if you can use Centrepay to pay for something ask the business.

Court fines and infringements

Contact the Court Administrative Office in your state or territory if you want to use Centrepay for:

  • court fines
  • infringements.

What you can't pay for

There are some things you can’t use Centrepay for. These include:

  • gift cards, vouchers
  • payment plans such as for Christmas hampers
  • alcohol and home brew products
  • cigarettes
  • pornography
  • gambling
  • firearms, accessories and bullets.

You can’t use Centrepay for the following either:

  • paying cash or payday lenders, pawn brokers or debt collectors
  • credit cards
  • income protection, funeral or life insurance
  • renting or leasing of household goods if the agreement is for less than 4 months or doesn’t have an end date
  • any holiday accommodation
  • car leasing, taxis and hire cars
  • bottled water.

You also can’t use Centrepay for government housing payments to state or territory housing authorities. Contact your local housing authority to pay a different way. You may be able to use our Rent Deduction Scheme.

How to pay for household goods a better way

You may end up paying a lot more than you think if you rent or lease household goods.

Better value options include:

  • Centrelink advance payments
  • no and low interest loans from community organisations
  • lay-by from stores
  • saving up the money and buying the item outright.

For help to make the most of your Centrelink payment:

Page last updated: 31 January 2019