Approved child care services have Australian Government approval to pass on Child Care Benefit as a reduction in child care fees.
This means you pay less money out of your own pocket. Approved child care can include:
- long day care
- family day care
- outside school hours care
- vacation care
- in home care, and
- occasional care
It doesn't include care provided for schooling once your child begins the recognised primary level of school for each state. Ask your child care service if they are approved for Child Care Benefit or check on the mychild website.
If you use approved child care, you can receive Child Care Benefit:
- up to 24 hours per child per week, available to all eligible families, or
- up to 50 hours per child per week if:
- you or your partner are a grandparent with primary care of a grandchild
- you and your partner are working, looking for work, training, or studying for at least 15 hours per week or 30 hours per fortnight, or
- you and your partner meet an exception from that requirement
More than 50 hours per week is available to families in certain circumstances who need extra assistance.
How to find an approved child care service
The mychild website provides information to help you choose a child care service that meets your needs. This site also provides information about Child Care Benefit approved child care services all over Australia.