How to claim

Check if you're eligible before you start your claim.

Child Care Benefit and Child Care Rebate stopped on 1 July 2018. You can claim Child Care Benefit as a lump sum for child care you used on or before this date. When you claim we’ll check your eligibility for Child Care Rebate.

From 2 July 2018, if you need help with approved child care fees you can claim Child Care Subsidy.

Before you start your claim

You should:

  • check if you're eligible for this payment
  • create a Centrelink online account through myGov to claim online. If you already have one you won't need to do this again
  • find the information you need for your claim.

Information you need for your claim

You’ll need to give us:

  • original documents to confirm your identity
  • your and your partner’s income and assets details
  • your bank account name, number and BSB number
  • your and your partner’s tax file numbers.

Start your claim for approved care

The easiest way to claim is online. You can use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You don’t need to finish your online claim all at once. You can save your answers and finish it later.

You have until 30 June 2019 to make this claim.

Start your claim online

To make a claim online you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink.

Sign in to myGov

I have a myGov account, but it’s not linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov and select Services. For help, read our online guides to link Centrelink to your myGov account.

I don’t have a Centrelink online account or a myGov account

If you’ve received a payment before, you can use your Customer Reference Number (CRN) to get an online account. Find your CRN on a letter we’ve sent you or on your Health Care Card, if you have one. Then, go to myGov to create a myGov account and use your CRN to link Centrelink.
Go to a service centre and o show us your identity documents including photo ID if you either:

  • don’t know your CRN
  • haven't got a payment before.

You can then create a myGov account and link Centrelink.

If you can't claim for approved care online

You can do any of the following:

Start your claim for registered care

You can’t claim Child Care Benefit for registered care online. Instead, you’ll need to complete the Claim for Child Care Benefit for registered care form.

You have 12 months from the date of the care to submit your claim.

Your provider must have applied to be a Registered Carer before 2 July 2018. If they didn’t, we won’t be able to pay you for care they provided before this date. If you’re unsure, please speak to your provider.

You must provide acceptable receipts for the care with your form. The receipts must be in the name of you or your partner.

Your receipts must have all of the following information for each child:

  • the registered carer's name and address or Carer Reference Number
  • the child’s full name
  • the full name of the person who paid for the child care fee
  • the details of the care provided for each week of care including hours and amount paid
  • the registered carer's signature and the date.

Submit your claim

You need to submit all of the following:

  • your claim
  • any other documents we’ve asked for.

You can do this online, by post or at a service centre.

You may need to confirm your identity at your nearest service centre.

Submit other documents

We may ask you for documents to help us assess your claim. If we do, you may need to provide these to us before you can submit your claim.

You can provide some documents we ask for after you submit your claim. You must do this within 14 days of submitting your claim.

We can’t process your claim if you don't give us all of the documents we ask for.

Proof of identity

You or your partner may need to confirm your identity when you claim.

To confirm your identity you’ll need to visit a service centre and show your identity documents.

Once you've done this, you can submit your Centrelink documents online.

Track your claim

You can only track your Child Care Benefit claim if you claimed online for approved care.

Once you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you all of the following:

  • the ID number of your claim
  • an estimated completion date, as there are different waiting times that may apply
  • a link to track its progress.

You can track the progress of your claim using your:

If you’re using your online account, the homepage will show the progress of your claim. If you’re using the most recent version of the app, select More then My claims.

You’ll see an estimated date of completion for your claim. We aim to complete claims by this date. However, in busy periods it may take a little longer.

Once it’s finalised, this page will show either Approved or Rejected.

Check your myGov Inbox

We'll let you know the result of your claim through your myGov Inbox.

If you claimed for registered care, we’ll let you know the result of your claim in writing. If you’re registered for online letters, you’ll get this through your myGov Inbox.

If your claim was successful, we’ll let you know when you’ll get your payment and how much you’ll get.

If you haven’t heard from us, you should check you’ve given us all documents before contacting us.

If you claimed for approved care, you can view what you’ve given us in your Centrelink online account. You can also check using the Vault in the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

If you claimed for registered care, we’ll let you know if we need more details from you.

If you’ve provided all requested documents, you can call the Families line.

If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.

Page last updated: 13 April 2019

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.