How to manage your payment

Finalising your Child Care Benefit for the 2017-18 financial year.

Balancing your payment

We compare your income estimate with your actual income after the end of each financial year. This is to make sure we paid you the right amount of Child Care Benefit. We call this balancing your payments.

If you got Child Care Benefit in the 2017-18 financial year, we started balancing your payments from 23 July 2018.

Read more about balancing your family assistance payments to find out:

  • why we balance your payments
  • what you need to do
  • when we balance your payments
  • how to check if your payment has been balanced.

You don’t need to read the rest of this page unless you are a Registered Carer.

Information for Registered Carers

Child Care Benefit stopped on 1 July 2018. Families can only claim Child Care Subsidy for approved care from 2 July 2018.

Families can claim Child Care Benefit for care provided before 2 July 2018. We don’t pay Child Care Rebate for registered care. This means families can’t claim Child Care Rebate for registered care provided before this date.

Registered care is child care provided by individuals who we have approved as Registered Carers. They may have been the families’:

  • relatives
  • friends
  • neighbours
  • nannies.

They could also have been individuals in organisations that weren’t able to offer Child Care Benefit for approved care. These may have included:

  • preschools
  • kindergartens
  • some outside school hours services, including before and after school care, vacation care and holiday programs
  • some occasional care centres.


You must have applied to be a Registered Carer before 2 July 2018. If you didn’t, we won’t be able to subsidise care you provided before this date.

Issuing receipts

If you’re already approved as a Registered Carer, keep issuing receipts for care you provided before 2 July 2018. This is so families can finalise their claims. You need to issue valid receipts to the person who paid for the child care.

Don’t issue receipts for Child Care Subsidy. It isn’t available for registered care.

We have free printed receipt books you can use for care you provided before 2 July 2018 if you like. Read more about ordering products for child care providers.

You can also use your own receipts. These can be either handwritten in blue or black pen or computer generated. Please include all of this information on the receipts:

  • your Carer Reference Number
  • your name, address and the full name of the child you cared for
  • the full name of the person who paid for the child care
  • details for each week of care, including hours and amount paid
  • an indication that you have received payment for the care
  • your signature and the date.

If you provided care in an organisation, your organisation can issue receipts on your behalf. These must contain all of the information above. We will accept an electronic signature.

A third party may sign on your behalf. They must clearly write on the receipt that they are signing on your behalf.

You can only issue a receipt for periods of care that you have already provided and received payment for. You must not issue receipts for care that is part of a compulsory education program such as primary school. If you provided care outside of school hours, you can only issue a receipt for those hours.

You can't issue receipts for your own child. Another Registered Carer will need to provide care to your child and issue the receipts.

Page last updated: 7 May 2019

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.