Child Care Benefit

Details you need to give your approved child care service

When you enrol your child in a Child Care Benefit approved child care service, you'll need to provide them with information to identify your family.

Provide them with:

  • your Customer Reference Number (CRN) and date of birth, and
  • your child's CRN and date of birth

You and your child will get a CRN as soon as a record is created with us, such as when you submit a claim for family assistance or if you contact us before you submit a claim.

Your CRN will be on the letters we send you. You can check your child's CRN by accessing your Centrelink online account through myGov or using the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

If you claimed Child Care Benefit as a fee reduction

When your child care service has your and your child’s CRN and dates of birth, they can create a formal enrolment with us. If you’re eligible and you’ve chosen to have your payments made to the child care service, we’ll give them your Child Care Benefit for approved care and Child Care Rebate.

The service can then reduce your child care fees, so you pay less.

If you want to claim Child Care Benefit as a lump sum

If you plan on claiming Child Care Benefit or Child Care Rebate as a lump sum, you still need to give your and your child’s CRN and date of birth details to the child care service when you enrol your child. This allows the service to send your child’s attendance information to us so that we can assess your entitlement when you do claim.

Page last updated: 12 May 2018