Child Care Subsidy


How to claim Child Care Subsidy.

Once we assess you, the outcome will be available in your Centrelink online account through myGov. Select Child Care Subsidy from the menu, then Child Care Subsidy Summary to view the outcome.

Before you start

Check if you’re eligible for this subsidy before you start.

We pay the subsidy directly to your child care provider to reduce the fees you pay.

If you got assistance with child care fees before 2 July 2018

You need to complete an assessment. This is so we can transition you to this subsidy.

Learn more about what to do if you got a child care payment before 2 July.

For help, use our online guide to complete your Child Care Subsidy assessment.

If you want to claim assistance with child care fees now

You need to submit a claim for Child Care Subsidy. You can claim using your Centrelink online account through myGov.

For help, use our online guide to claim Child Care Subsidy.

Start your claim online

To make a claim online you need a myGov account with Centrelink linked.

I have a myGov account linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov to start your claim.

Sign in to myGov

I don’t have a Centrelink online account or myGov account

If you’ve received a payment or service from us, you can use your Customer Reference Number (CRN). Find this on a letter we’ve sent you and register for a Centrelink online account.

If you don’t know your CRN or you haven't got a payment from us, go to a service centre. You’ll need to take your photo ID and tell us you want to register for a Centrelink online account.

You can then create a myGov account and select Services to link Centrelink.

Provide supporting documents

You may need to provide some other documents to support your claim. We’ll tell you what documents we need. You’ll need to provide these within 14 days.

You may also need to confirm your identity at your nearest service centre.

Submit your claim


If you're claiming online, you can submit your claim and most supporting documents electronically at the end of the process.

Read more about submitting your documents online.

Confirm enrolment

If you completed your claim but the enrolment details were missing, you need to take action. Ask your provider to submit these details to us so you can confirm them.

Before you confirm these details, make sure they match your Complying Written Arrangement (CWA), including fees and sessions of care. A CWA is an agreement between you and your provider to give care in return for fees.

If the information or fees in the enrolment details don’t match your CWA, you should dispute the enrolment online. You will need to ask your provider to:

  • send us updated enrolment details, or
  • complete a new CWA and send updated enrolment details

Once we've received the new information, you need to confirm the enrolment details. You can do this using your Centrelink online account through myGov. Select Child Care Subsidy from the menu, then enrolment.

For help, use our online guide to confirm your child’s enrolment details.

If you think your provider is fraudulent or non-compliant, contact the Department of Education and Training (DET). Read more about the Child Care Tip-off line on the DET website.

Claim outcome

After we assess your claim, we'll send you an assessment notice. It will tell you if you're eligible for Child Care Subsidy. If your claim was successful, the assessment notice will tell you:

  • when your subsidy will start, and
  • how much you’re eligible for

You can view, save and print your assessment notice in your online account. You can also subscribe to electronic messaging to get notifications from us by SMS or email.

You have the right to appeal any decision we make.

Page last updated: 27 August 2018