You need to tell us if your circumstances change when you're getting Child Care Subsidy.
For example, you need to tell us if any of the following things happen:
- your child begins primary or secondary school for the first time
- your or your partner’s activity details change
- your or your partner's income changes
- your care arrangements change
- your personal circumstances change
- you change your address
- you leave Australia.
These changes may take up to 2 weeks to take effect. This is because we check your eligibility and pay Child Care Subsidy fortnightly.
If you don't tell us about changes to your circumstances within 14 days, it may affect your subsidy. We may overpay you and you'll have to pay the money back.
You don’t need to tell us if either of these apply:
- the hours your child attends child care change
- your child stops attending child care, if you plan on sending them to child care again in the future.
If you change child care services
You don’t need to tell us as long as you’re still using an approved service.
However, if you change child care services you’ll need to confirm your child’s enrolment details online.
We’ll only be able to pay Child Care Subsidy to your provider once you’ve confirmed these details. They’ll then send us your attendance information which means we’ll pay the subsidy to them.
If your new service is a different type of approved care, this may affect the hourly rate cap we use. Read more about how the type of child care you use affects your subsidy.