Child Care Subsidy

When to report a change in circumstances

You need to tell us if your circumstances change when you're getting Child Care Subsidy.

For example, you need to tell us if:

  • your child begins primary or secondary school for the first time
  • your or your partner’s recognised activity details change
  • your or your partner's income changes
  • your care arrangements change
  • your personal circumstances change
  • you change your address, or
  • you leave Australia

You can update most changes using your Centrelink online account through myGov or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. Read more about what you can do using self service.

If you don't tell us about the changes within 14 days, it may affect your subsidy. We may overpay you and you'll have to pay the money back.

You don’t need to tell us if:

  • the hours your child attends child care changes, or
  • your child stops attending child care, if you plan on sending them to child care again in the future

If you change child care services

You don’t need to tell us as long as you’re still using an approved service.

However, if you change child care services you’ll need to confirm your child’s enrolment details online.

We’ll only be able to pay Child Care Subsidy to your provider once you’ve confirmed these details. They’ll then send us your attendance information which means we’ll pay the subsidy to them.

If your new child care service is a different type of approved care, this may affect the hourly rate cap we use. Read more about how the type of child care you use affects your subsidy.

Page last updated: 6 August 2018