Residence rules

To get Child Care Subsidy you or your partner must meet these rules.

You or your partner must be living in Australia and:

  • have Australian citizenship
  • hold a permanent visa
  • hold a Special Category visa, or
  • hold a certain temporary visa type

You may also meet the requirements if either:

  • you or your partner are a student from overseas, sponsored by the Australian Government to study in Australia
  • you’re in hardship, or special circumstances apply

To keep getting Child Care Subsidy

You or your partner must continue to meet the residency rules for as long as you get this subsidy.

You still may be able to get this subsidy if you’re outside Australia for less than 6 weeks. Read more about payments while travelling outside Australia.

Page last updated: 8 February 2019

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.