While travelling outside Australia

To remain eligible for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card while you are outside Australia, you must continue to meet the qualification rules for this card.

There are rules about how long your Commonwealth Seniors Health Card can remain current when you travel outside Australia.

Rules for Commonwealth Seniors Health Card outside Australia

If you leave Australia to live in another country your concession card will be cancelled when you leave.

If you leave Australia temporarily, your concession card will remain current for up to 19 weeks. After 19 weeks your concession card will be cancelled and you will need to reapply once you return to Australia.

Before travelling make sure your income details are up to date. By doing so, if you need to reapply for your card on return to Australia, the process will be quicker and easier.

The rules for payment of the quarterly supplement outside Australia are different.

When to tell us about your travel

You should tell us that you are leaving Australia if you:

  • are going to live in another country, or
  • will be away for more than 19 weeks

Otherwise you do not need to tell us that you are leaving Australia. Australia's immigration department will advise us when you leave Australia and when you return.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get tailored information on how your payments and concession cards could be affected.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 20 September 2019