A one off payment if you’re in severe financial hardship and extreme circumstances.
- be eligible for an income support payment from us, and
- have severe financial hardship, and
- have an extreme life change such as leaving a violent relationship, getting out of jail or being a refugee, or
- go through a natural disaster not covered by the specific Disaster Recovery Payment
Eligibility & payment rates
Who can get it
You can get this payment in special circumstances if you're eligible for an income support payment.
How much you can get and how often
The amount you can get depends on the income support payment you get.
On the day you claim this payment you must meet the residence rules of your income support payment.
Before you start your claim check if you’re eligible.
- find out what you need before you start your claim
- fill in your claim form
- submit the form and other documents we ask for
- wait for us to assess your claim and tell you the result
Payment and Service Finder
Select the options that describe your circumstances, then explore a list of possible Centrelink and Medicare payments and services online.
We can help you if you're going through family and domestic violence or extreme circumstances.
Manage your money
We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt.
Help in your language
We can help you with translated information or you can speak with a skilled bilingual service officer.