Crisis Payment


You need to meet eligibility requirements to get Crisis Payment, and how much you'll get.

Crisis Payment can help if you are in severe financial hardship and:

  • are experiencing family and domestic violence
  • have been released after 14 days from prison or psychiatric confinement as a result of an offence
  • are a Humanitarian entrant in Australia for the first time
  • go through a natural disaster not covered by the Disaster Recovery Payment
  • are eligible for an income support payment - not including Family Tax Benefit or Child Care Subsidy.

If you get Family Tax Benefit or Child Care Subsidy, you must also get an income support payment to be eligible for a crisis payment.

Severe financial hardship

You’re in severe financial hardship if you’re:

  • single and your funds total less than 2 weeks of the highest rate of your income support payment
  • part of a couple and your funds total less than 4 weeks of the highest rate of your income support payment.

Other rules to meet

You must call us on the Help in an emergency line within 7 days of your crisis.

You must meet residence rules.

Who can’t get it

You can’t get Crisis Payment if you’ve received a Disaster Recovery Payment or another disaster relief payment for the same event.

Help in an emergency

Each disaster is different so the timing and type of financial help varies.

If you only got in-kind help, like new electrical goods or food, you can still claim for Crisis Payment.

Read more about how we help in an emergency.

This information was printed Thursday 23 May 2019 from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.

Page last updated: 1 April 2019