Dad and Partner Pay

A short term payment if you’re a dad or partner on leave from work to help care for your new child.

Eligibility basics

  • be caring for a newborn or newly adopted child
  • under the income test limit
  • on unpaid leave or not in a job
  • have done enough work in the 13 months before to meet the work test

Eligibility & payment rates


To be eligible for Dad and Partner Pay, you need to meet certain criteria.

Read more about eligibility for Dad and Partner Pay

Payment rates

Dad and Partner Pay is currently $695.00 per week before tax, for a maximum period of 2 weeks. This is the weekly rate of the national minimum wage.

We'll pay you after your child is born or adopted and your claim is finalised. If you choose to take your Dad and Partner Pay period at a later date, we'll pay you at that time.

We pay Dad and Partner Pay into your nominated bank account in 1 instalment.

Effect on existing payments and entitlements

Dad and Partner Pay is taxable income and may affect other family assistance payments.

Your family can still receive Family Tax Benefit during your Dad and Partner Pay period, but you need to include Dad and Partner Pay in your estimate of adjusted taxable income for family assistance.

Dad and Partner Pay is counted as income for Parenting Payment and other income support payments. This means you could get a reduced rate of income support, or may not be eligible for an income support payment, while you're receiving Dad and Partner Pay.

Read more about how Paid Parental Leave scheme payments are counted as income.

If eligible, your family can get Parental Leave Pay or the Newborn Upfront Payment and Newborn Supplement for the same child that you get your Dad and Partner Pay. The father or partner doesn't need to be getting Parental Leave Pay to get their Dad and Partner Pay.

As an individual, you may be able to get Dad and Partner Pay and Parental Leave Pay, but not at the same time. You can get a maximum of 18 weeks pay under the Paid Parental Leave scheme as an individual.

Work test

To be eligible for Dad and Partner Pay, you need to meet the work test or receive an exemption.

Read more about the work test

Unpaid parental leave entitlements

Dad and Partner Pay doesn't change your workplace leave entitlements.

If you have worked continuously for your employer for 12 months or more, you may be entitled to unpaid parental leave under the National Employment Standards in the Fair Work Act 2009.

Read more about leave on the Fair Work Ombudsman website and talk to your employer about taking unpaid parental leave. If you've worked for your employer for less than 12 months, consider speaking with them to negotiate unpaid leave.

Adjusted taxable income

Your adjusted taxable income will be used to assess your eligibility for some payments, supplements, support and benefits.

Read more about adjusted taxable income

Residence rules

To get Dad and Partner Pay you must satisfy residence rules. You must be living in Australia and either:

To keep getting Dad and Partner Pay

You must continue to meet the residence rules for each day of your Dad and Partner Pay period.

Changes if you receive family payments

A number of changes affect you if you receive family payments.

Read more about changes to family payments


Once you have read about eligibility the next steps are:

  1. find out what you need before you start your claim
  2. choose your claiming option
  3. submit your claim
  4. provide proof of birth or adoption
  5. we will assess your claim and let you know the outcome


Managing your payment

Try self service

Do your Centrelink, Medicare and Child Support business using self service options, including our Express Plus mobile apps, online accounts and phone self service.

Read more about using self service.

Change of circumstances

You need to tell us if your circumstances change while receiving Dad and Partner Pay.

Read more about reporting your change of circumstances

While travelling outside Australia

There are rules about whether your Dad and Partner Pay can be paid when you travel outside Australia.

Read more about Dad and Partner Pay while travelling outside Australia

My bank account is overdrawn

You can get help to manage your money if your bank account is overdrawn.

Read more about what to do if your account is overdrawn


Registering the birth of a child

If you're the parent of a newborn, you also need to register or apply to register the birth.

Read more about how to register the birth on the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry in your state or territory on the Australian Government website.

Information for employers

If you're an employer, read more about the Paid Parental Leave scheme for employers and how to assist your employees.

Payment and Service Finder

Find, estimate and compare payments and services you may be eligible for. You can also work out what a change in circumstance might mean for the payments and services you currently receive from us.

Start using Payment and Service Finder

Manage your money


We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt.

Read about how to manage your money.

Page last updated: 27 August 2017