Complete the following steps to claim Dad and Partner Pay. Before you start, check if you can get it.
Steps to claim Dad and Partner Pay
1. Get ready to claim
The easiest way to claim is online. You need to nominate a start date no more than 50 weeks after your child’s birth or adoption. Read more about when to claim.
To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.You may need to confirm your identity with us before you start your claim.
If you can’t claim online either:
2. Get your documents ready to claim
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.
3. Make your claim
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Payments and Claims from the menu, then Claims, then Make a claim.
- Under Families, select Get started.
- Select Apply for Family Assistance (including Paid Parental Leave).
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes how to submit your supporting documents.
- Submit your claim.
When you're ready:
4. Track your claim
After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- the ID number of your claim
- the date we estimate your claim will be complete
- a link to track its progress.
We’ll also let you know the result of your claim. We'll send a letter to either your:
If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.
Your letter will show Approved, Rejected or Assessed. Assessed means you claimed before the birth or adoption of your child. In this case, you’ll need to provide either:
- your child’s proof of birth after they are born
- your child’s proof of adoption when you start caring for them.
If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.
The best time to apply for Dad and Partner Pay is before the birth or adoption of your child.
To do your business with us, create a myGov account and link to Centrelink.
Confirm your identity when you claim a payment or service.
When you claim, we’ll ask you for some documents to support your claim for a payment or service.
When you claim Dad and Partner Pay you’ll need to provide documents before and after the birth or adoption of your child.
Page last updated: 31 May 2019