Dad and Partner Pay


There are 5 steps to claim Dad and Partner Pay. Before you start, check you can receive it and when to claim.

We recommend claiming early so we can pay you as soon as possible.

You can claim from 3 months before the expected date of birth or date of adoption. You need to claim before your baby turns 1.

To receive the full 2 weeks of Dad and Partner Pay, you need to nominate a start date no more than 50 weeks after the birth or adoption of the child.

It’s easiest to apply online. If you can’t, for example you don’t have access to the internet, you can complete the Dad and Partner Pay claim form.

If you can’t access a printer, you can visit a service centre or call us and we’ll send it to you.

Steps to Dad and Partner Pay

  1. Visiting a service centre

    1. Create accounts and link them

    If you already have a Centrelink online account linked to myGov, you can start your claim.

    If you haven’t claimed before, you need to create a Centrelink online account. To do this, bring 3 documents to a service centre to prove your identity.

    You'll need to link this account to your myGov account.

    If you don't have a myGov account, you can create one.

  2. Gather Documents

    2. Prepare your claim

    You’ll need some information to prove you should receive Dad and Partner Pay.

    Read more about the information you’ll need to provide to claim Dad and Partner Pay.

  3. Claim online

    3. Submit your claim

    The easiest way to do this is online. Sign in to myGov. Go to your Centrelink online account and start your claim. Once you’re signed in, select:

    • Make a claim
    • Start a new claim
    • Families, then
    • Get started

    Once you answer all the questions, select Submit your claim.

    For help with your claim call us or visit a service centre.


    Sign in to myGov


    4. Give us your supporting documents

    We’ll tell you what supporting documents you need to provide to complete your claim. The earlier you submit your documents the faster we assess your claim.

    If you claimed before your child’s birth or adoption, you or your partner will need to submit proof of birth or adoption once your child comes into your care.

    If you claimed after your child’s birth or adoption, you can submit proof of birth or adoption as part of your claim.

    Read more about what you need to provide with your claim.

    You can upload documents with your Centrelink online account through myGov or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.


    5. Check your myGov Inbox

    We’ll let you know the result of your claim through your myGov Inbox.

    Your claim may take longer to process if there’s information missing from your claim.

We’ll send updates about your claim to your myGov Inbox. We’ll contact you there if we need more details for your claim.

If you haven’t heard from us, you should check you have given us all documents before contacting us. If you’ve submitted your claim and all requested documents, you can call the Families line

If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.

Page last updated: 8 November 2018