Dad and Partner Pay

Claiming Dad and Partner Pay

The easiest way to claim Dad and Partner Pay is online.

Before you start

Check if you're eligible for this payment before you start your claim.

Set up a Centrelink online account through myGov to claim online - if you already have one you won’t need to do this again

Conditions for claiming

You’ll need to claim Dad and Partner Pay using your own online account. We can’t accept claims from your partner or the birth mother.

When to claim

You can start your claim for Dad and Partner Pay:

  • 3 months before the date you expect your child to be born or adopted, or
  • within 52 weeks of your child being born or coming into your care as part of an adoption process

We recommend claiming early so we can pay you as soon as possible.

You can choose when your Dad and Partner Pay period will start. It can start from the day your child is born or adopted, or it can start later. You should choose a start date at least 14 days before your child's first birthday or anniversary of the date the child came into your care to get your 2 weeks of Dad and Partner Pay.

Information you need for your claim

You'll need your:

  • Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN), if you have one
  • bank account details - you must be named on the account
  • Tax File Number
  • date of arrival in Australia, if you weren't born here
  • details of periods when you have lived outside Australia
  • Australian residency documents, for example citizenship papers, passport or other documents
  • work test information
  • income details for the financial year before the date you're claiming or your nominated Dad and Partner Pay period start date, whichever is earlier
  • child’s expected or actual date of birth or adoption, and
  • Dad and Partner Pay period start date

At the end of the claim, we’ll tell you if you need to give us more evidence.

Start your claim

It’s best to start your claim online or at a service centre.

Start your claim online

To make a claim online you need a Centrelink online account linked to myGov.

I have a myGov account linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov to start your claim.

Sign in with myGov

I have a myGov account, but it’s not linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov and select Services. For help, read our online guides to link Centrelink to your myGov account.

I don’t have a Centrelink online account or a myGov account

If you’ve received a payment or service from us, you can use your Customer Reference Number (CRN) to get an online account. Find your CRN on a letter we’ve sent you or your Health Care Card, if you have one. Then, go to myGov to create a myGov account and use your CRN to link Centrelink.

If you don’t know your CRN or you haven't got a payment from us, go to a service centre with photo ID. Tell us you want to register for an online account.

You can then create a myGov account and link Centrelink.

If you can't claim online

If you are unable to claim online, for example you do not have access to the internet:

Submit your claim

You need to give us:

  • your claim
  • your income details
  • your bank account details
  • your Dad and Partner Pay period start date, and
  • any other documents we’ve asked for

You can do this online or at a service centre.

Submit other documents

We may ask you for documents to help us assess your claim.

Proof of birth or adoption

You or your partner need to give us proof of your child's birth or commencement of the adoption process. You have several options for giving us proof of birth or adoption. We can't pay your Dad and Partner Pay until we have this information.

If you're the parent of a newborn, you'll also need to register or apply to register the birth with the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry in your state or territory.

Wait for the results

We'll process your claim and finalise it once we have all the documents we asked you for.

If we process and finalise your claim before your Dad and Partner Pay period start date, we'll pay you on the first day of your Dad and Partner Pay period. You should be able to access the money within 2 business days.

If we process and finalise your claim after your Dad and Partner Pay period starts, we expect to pay you within 28 days.

You have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read more about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 12 May 2018