Dad and Partner Pay

Who can receive it

You need to meet certain criteria to receive Dad and Partner Pay.

Who can receive it

You need to be either the:

  • biological father of the child
  • partner of the birth mother
  • adoptive parent
  • partner of an adoptive parent, or
  • person caring for a child born of a surrogacy arrangement

In some circumstances, you may also be eligible if you're the:

  • partner of the biological father, or
  • partner of a new carer where care arrangements have changed, other than a foster care or permanent care arrangement

Read more about relationship types.

You also need to:

  • meet a work test
  • have earned an individual adjusted taxable income of $150,000 or less in the financial year before the birth or adoption of the child, or your application date, whichever is earlier
  • not be working or taking paid leave during your Dad and Partner Pay period
  • be caring for the child on each day of your Dad and Partner Pay period, and
  • meet resident rules and be an Australian citizen or permanent resident

In the case of a stillbirth or infant death, you may be eligible for Dad and Partner Pay or Stillborn Baby Payment

Who can’t receive it

You can’t receive Dad and Partner Pay if you’re the birth mother of the child. Instead, you may be able to receive:

Page last updated: 19 June 2018