Dad and Partner Pay

Changes if you receive family payments

A number of changes from July 2018 may affect you if you get family payments.

Family assistance changes

Immunisation requirements

If you get Family Tax Benefit (FTB), each child you get FTB for needs to meet the immunisation requirements. 

If they don’t, we may reduce your FTB Part A payments by up to $28.28 per fortnight, per child.

We’ll contact you if your child doesn’t meet immunisation requirements. We’ll let you know what you need to do before it affects your payments.

Read more about immunisation requirements.

Pauses to indexation

We won’t increase the following until 1 July 2020:

Income test exemptions

You won’t be exempt from the  FTB Part A income test if both of these apply to you or your partner:

We’ll use your family income estimate to work out your FTB Part A payment rate. 

If we ask you to give us a family income estimate, you need to do this within 21 days. If you don’t, we may cancel your FTB.

Your dependent child’s payment may change if we use your income to work out their rate of:

Health check requirements

Your child may need to have a health check if both of these apply:

You need to tell us once your child’s had the health check. You need to tell us before they turn 5. If you don’t, we may reduce your FTB Part A payments.

We’ll send you a letter if your child needs a health check. We’ll let you know what you need to do before it affects your payment.

Read more about the health check requirements.

If you withdraw superannuation for your first home

We won’t count superannuation withdrawals made under the Australian Taxation Office First Home Super Saver Scheme as taxable income. This means it won’t affect your:

  • family assistance payments
  • dependant student payments
  • child care fee assistance
  • child support assessments in most cases
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

If you get Parental Leave Pay or Dad and Partner Pay

The income limits for these payments will remain at $150,000 until 1 July 2020.

Read about who can get Parental Leave Pay and who can get Dad and Partner Pay.

Child Care Subsidy and Additional Child Care Subsidy

From 2 July 2018, Child Care Subsidy and Additional Child Care Subsidy started. They replaced the previous child care payments which were available before 2 July:

  • Child Care Benefit
  • Child Care Rebate
  • JET Child Care Fee Assistance

Read more about Child Care Subsidy and Additional Child Care Subsidy.

Child support changes

Child support agreements

We won’t pay child support to a parent under a child support agreement if they have less than 35% care. We may end or suspend the child support agreement for the child if your care arrangement changes and this occurs.

Read more about binding child support agreements and limited child support agreements.

Binding child support agreements made before 1 July 2008

A court can now set aside an agreement in a broader range of circumstances. This may happen if one of the parents didn’t get legal advice at the time.

Read about binding child support agreements.

Child support overpayments

In most cases, if you’re receiving child support and you’ve been paid too much, this money must be paid back. If you don’t repay the money, we can take action to recover it. We may:

  • recover amounts from your ongoing child support
  • ask your employer to deduct amounts from your pay
  • deduct part of your Centrelink payments
  • use all or part of your tax refund to repay the overpayment

Read more about child support overpayments.

Change in care arrangements

You must tell us if your circumstances change. This includes changes to care arrangements.

If you don’t tell us about a care change within 28 days and your care has:

  • decreased, we’ll use the details in your assessment from the date of the change
  • increased, we’ll use the details in your assessment from the date we found out about the change

We’ll only update income for periods before July 2008 in limited cases.

Read more about how your percentage of care affects your payments.

Page last updated: 26 November 2018