Disability Support Pension


Check if you’re eligible before you start your claim. You should talk to us before you claim Disability Support Pension.


  • contact us to discuss claiming Disability Support Pension
  • read the conditions for claiming
  • complete your forms
  • get medical evidence
  • submit your claim and all supporting evidence
  • we’ll assess your claim and let you know the outcome

Before you start

You should:

Claim form

Complete the Claim for Disability Support Pension form.

You can print the form, or call us and ask us to send it to you.

If you call us, we’ll check if you need to complete other forms to support your claim. Read information about the other forms.  

Medical evidence

To support your claim, you need to give us medical evidence that shows how your disability or condition currently affects you. This helps us assess your claim faster.

Use the Claim for Disability Support Pension Medical Evidence Checklist to work out what medical evidence you need to provide. Read more about medical evidence.

Your consent

We may need to talk to your treating health professionals about your medical evidence. They may ask us to confirm that we have your consent so they can talk to us. To do this complete a Consent to disclose medical information form.

If you don’t provide your consent, we may not have enough information to assess your eligibility for Disability Support Pension.

Other forms 

You may need to complete other forms to support your claim. 

When you submit your claim, it’s important to give us all required medical evidence and supporting documents. This allows us to assess your claim. You’ll need to complete the forms that reflect your circumstances. See your claim form to work out which forms you need to complete.

Other forms 

If you Complete this form

want another person to act on your behalf

SS313 - Authorising a person or organisation to enquire or act on your behalf

aren’t already getting an income support payment (such as Newstart Allowance or Youth Allowance) or
are claiming because you’re permanently blind and also claiming Rent Assistance

SA369 - Income and assets form

It explains if you need to provide more information about your income or assets.

have received compensation or damages

MOD C - Compensation and Damages

have recently left your employment SU001 - Employment Separation Certificate

are under 18 and it’s unreasonable for you to live at home

MOD Y - Unreasonable to live at home details

Submit your claim

When you submit your claim, it’s important to give us all required medical evidence and supporting documents. If you don’t, we may not accept your claim or we may reject it.

Return your completed claim forms, identity documents, medical evidence, and any other documents we’ve asked for:

  • by post to:
    Department of Human Services
    Disability Services
    Reply Paid, 7806
    Canberra BC ACT 2610
  • in person at a service centre

After you submit your claim for Disability Support Pension, we’ll tell you if:

  • we need more information, or
  • if you need to attend an assessment

You may be able to get another payment while you wait for the outcome of your claim. If you’d like to do this, let us know when you submit your Disability Support Pension claim. You’ll need to submit a separate claim for that payment so we can assess your eligibility.

Contact us by phone or visit a service centre if you can’t submit a claim because of:

  • a crisis, or
  • any reason outside your control

Wait for the result

We’ll let you know the result of your claim.

This might include:

  • if your claim is successful
  • when your payment starts
  • how much you’ll get

If your claim is not successful, we’ll explain why.

If you don’t agree with our decision, call us. We will explain the decision again and make sure it’s correct.

If you still don’t agree, you can ask us to review our decision. You should do this within 13 weeks from when we tell you about the decision. 

Page last updated: 19 July 2018