Complete the following steps to claim Disability Support Pension. Before you start, check if you can get it.
Steps to claim Disability Support Pension
1. Get ready to claim
Print the Claim for Disability Support Pension form. The claim form includes:
- a medical evidence checklist,
- a consent to disclose medical information
If you don’t have access to a printer:
- call the People with disability line and ask us to post the form to you, or
- go to a service centre and ask for the form
We’ll check if you need to complete other forms to support your claim.
2. Get your documents ready
You’ll need to get supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim. This includes the medical evidence you need for your claim. Use the checklist in the claim form to work out what medical evidence you need.You may need to confirm your identity with us before you start your claim.
3. Make your claim
Fill in and sign the following forms:
- Claim for Disability Support Pension form. The claim form guides you through the questions and tells you what supporting documents we need. This includes other forms you may need to complete.
- Consent to disclose medical information form. If you printed the claim form, the consent form is on the last page. We may need to talk to your treating health professionals about your medical evidence. The form gives your consent for your treating health professionals to talk to us. You don’t have to complete this form, but if you don’t provide your consent, we may not have enough information to assess your eligibility for Disability Support Pension.
4. Submit your claim
Submit the completed forms with any supporting documents, medical evidence and other forms we’ve asked for. The easiest way is to submit your documents online.
If you can’t submit online:
You need to give us all the medical evidence and supporting documents we’ve asked for. If you don’t, we may not accept your claim or we may reject it.
- go to a service centre, or
- post to:
Department of Human Services
Reply Paid 7806
Canberra BC ACT 2610
- a crisis, or
- any reason outside your control
5. Wait for the result of your claim
We'll let you know:
- if your claim is successful
- when you’ll get your first payment
- how much you’ll get
We'll contact you if:
- we need more details, or
- you need to attend an assessment
If you don’t agree with our decision call the People with disability line. We’ll explain it and make sure it’s correct.
If you still don’t agree, you can ask us to review our decision.
In this section
When you claim, we’ll ask you for some documents to support your claim for a payment or service.
You need to submit medical evidence if you claim Disability Support Pension, or have a medical review.
Confirm your identity
You may need to confirm your identity when you claim a payment or service.
Other forms you may need to complete
When you make your claim for Disability Support Pension, we may ask you to give us more information.
Reviews and appeals
If you disagree with a decision we've made, you have the right to ask us to review our decision.