Disability Support Pension

Residence rules

To get Disability Support Pension you must be an Australian resident and in Australia on the day you claim.

How long you need to have been a resident

To get Disability Support Pension you need to have been an Australian resident for at least 10 years in total. There must be no break in your residence for at least 5 of these years.

We may need more information to establish your Australian residence status. If we do, we’ll ask you to complete the Residence in Australia and other countries form.

What may be different

The 10 year time frame doesn’t apply if you’re a refugee or former refugee. It also doesn’t apply if you became unable to work, or if you became permanently blind while you were:

  • an Australian resident, or
  • a dependent child of an Australian resident and you then got your Australian resident status while a dependent child

If you don’t meet these rules, another option may apply. If you’ve lived or worked in a country that has a social security agreement with Australia, that agreement may help you to claim.

This information was printed Wednesday 22 May 2019 from https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/disability-support-pension/eligibility/residence-rules It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.

Page last updated: 16 August 2018