Assessing your ability to work
We assess your ability to work as part of general medical rules for Disability Support Pension (DSP).
How we assess your ability to work
We assess how your condition affects your ability to work, based on your medical evidence.
We look at the following:
- if you can work at least 15 hours per week now, or in the next 2 years
- if training would help you work in the next 2 years
- how many hours you can work with training and support
- if you need help to stay in work.
This includes any work that is:
- at, or above, the relevant minimum wage
- in Australia, even if it’s not within your local area.
Keep in mind, work doesn’t have to be the same job you may have done before.
You may need to attend a Job Capacity Assessment.
You may need to take part in a Program of Support before you can get DSP.
Page last updated: 10 July 2019