If you get Disability Support Pension (DSP), we may review your medical eligibility in the future. This is to make sure you’re still getting the right support.
Why we conduct reviews
We conduct medical reviews for a range of reasons.
The rules for DSP have changed over time, including new Impairment Tables in 2012.
Read more about the Impairment Tables on the Department of Social Services website.
If you’ve been on DSP for a while, we may need to check both of the following:
- that we have current information about the impact of your condition
- that you meet current rules for DSP.
When we’ll contact you
If you’re selected for a medical review, we’ll write to you and tell you what you need to do.
You’ll need to give us information for the review. This may include any of the following:
- a review form with a report from your treating health professional
- current medical evidence for your condition
- whether you consent for your treating health professional to give us further information.
If we need to contact your treating health professional, complete and return the Consent to disclose medical information form.
Call us before your review date if you:
- need help filling out the review form
- are having trouble getting current medical evidence
- won’t be able to return the review form or current medical evidence by the due date
- aren't sure what information you need to give us.
We may give you more time to get the information.
Your payment may stop if you don’t give us the information or contact us to discuss it.
What happens at the review
We may ask you to attend a Job Capacity Assessment. This includes assessment of your conditions under the current Impairment Tables.
This helps us understand:
- how your condition affects you now
- your ability to work
- any help you may need to get a job.
What happens after the review
We’ll write to you with the outcome of your review.
If you’re no longer eligible for DSP, you may be eligible for other support. You can use our Payment and Service Finder to see what support may be suitable for you.