A regular payment if you’re caring for a child whose parents can’t care for them or have died.
- you care for the child at least 35% of the time, and
- their parents have both died, or
- one parent has died and the other is in a psychiatric institution or nursing home for an indefinite time, in prison for at least 10 years or their whereabouts are unknown, or
- the child is a refugee and both parents are living outside Australia or their whereabouts are unknown
Eligibility & payment rates
Who can receive it
To receive Double Orphan Pension you must meet certain criteria.
How much you receive
You can receive $63.80 a fortnight untaxed.
On the day you claim Double Orphan Pension you must be living in Australia.
Check if you’re eligible before you start your claim.
- find out what you need before you start
- register an intent to claim
- fill in your claim form
- submit the form and other documents we ask for, and
- wait for us to assess your claim and tell you the result
Managing your payment
Change of circumstances
You need to report any changes to your circumstances.
While travelling outside Australia
There are rules about how long your Double Orphan Pension can be paid while you, or the children for whom you receive this payment, travel outside Australia.
Someone to deal with us on your behalf
If you want someone else to deal with us, you can authorise them to enquire, act or get payments for you.
My bank account is overdrawn
You can get help to manage your money if your bank account is overdrawn.
Manage your money
We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt.
Payment and Service Finder
Select the options that describe your circumstances, then explore a list of possible Centrelink and Medicare payments and services online.