Double Orphan Pension


Check if you’re eligible before you start your claim. Submit your claim for Double Orphan Pension as soon as possible.


  • find out what you need before you start
  • fill in your claim form
  • submit the form and other documents we ask for, and
  • wait for us to assess your claim and tell you the result

Before you start

You should:

  • check if you’re eligible before your start your claim
  • set up a Centrelink online account through myGov - if you already have one you won’t need to do this again

If you haven’t claimed Family Tax Benefit for the child, you must submit a claim for this payment. You can claim up to 3 months before the child enters your care.

Information you need for your claim

You may need to give us:

  • proof of your and your partner’s Australian residency
  • proof of the child’s birth
  • confirmation of the child’s refugee status
  • proof of the change of care
  • the parenting plan or court order
  • confirmation of the child’s identity, or
  • confirmation of the date the child’s parent or parents died

Start your claim

To receive a claim form you can:

Submit your claim

You need to give us:

  • your claim form, and
  • any other documents we’ve asked for

You can do this online, by post or in person at a service centre.

I have a myGov account, but it’s not linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov and select Services. For help, read our online guides to link Centrelink to your myGov account.

I don’t have a Centrelink online account or a myGov account

If you’ve received a payment or service from us, you can use your Customer Reference Number (CRN) to get an online account. Find your CRN on a letter we’ve sent you or your Health Care Card, if you have one. Then, go to myGov to create a myGov account and use your CRN to link Centrelink.

If you don’t know your CRN or you haven't got a payment from us, go to a service centre with photo ID. Tell us you want to register for an online account.

You can then create a myGov account and link Centrelink.

Read more about Centrelink Customer Reference Numbers.


You can submit your documents online by using your:

By post

Post your form and the documents we ask for to:

Department of Human Services
Reply paid 7802
Canberra BC ACT 2610

In person

Bring your claim form and documents to a service centre.

Wait for the results

We’ll tell you:

  • if we accept your claim
  • when we’ll start paying you, and
  • how much you’ll receive

You have the right to appeal our decision. Read about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 30 October 2018