Check if you’re eligible before you start your claim. Submit your claim for Double Orphan Pension as soon as possible.
- find out what you need before you start
- fill in your claim form
- submit the form and other documents we ask for, and
- wait for us to assess your claim and tell you the result
Before you start
- check if you’re eligible before your start your claim
- set up a Centrelink online account through myGov - if you already have one you won’t need to do this again
If you haven’t claimed Family Tax Benefit for the child, you must submit a claim for this payment. You can claim up to 3 months before the child enters your care.
Information you need for your claim
You may need to give us:
- proof of your and your partner’s Australian residency
- proof of the child’s birth
- confirmation of the child’s refugee status
- proof of the change of care
- the parenting plan or court order
- confirmation of the child’s identity, or
- confirmation of the date the child’s parent or parents died
Start your claim
To receive a claim form you can:
- download the Double Orphan Pension claim form
- call the families line and ask us to send you the form, or
- visit a service centre and pick up the form
Submit your claim
You need to give us:
- your claim form, and
- any other documents we’ve asked for
You can do this online, by post or in person at a service centre.
I have a myGov account, but it’s not linked to Centrelink
Sign in to myGov and select Services. For help, read our online guides to link Centrelink to your myGov account.
I don’t have a Centrelink online account or a myGov account
If you’ve received a payment or service from us, you can use your Customer Reference Number (CRN) to get an online account. Find your CRN on a letter we’ve sent you or your Health Care Card, if you have one. Then, go to myGov to create a myGov account and use your CRN to link Centrelink.
You can then create a myGov account and link Centrelink.
You can submit your documents online by using your:
Post your form and the documents we ask for to:Department of Human Services
Reply paid 7802
Canberra BC ACT 2610
Bring your claim form and documents to a service centre.
Wait for the results
We’ll tell you:
- if we accept your claim
- when we’ll start paying you, and
- how much you’ll receive
You have the right to appeal our decision. Read about reviews and appeals.