Double Orphan Pension

Claiming Double Orphan Pension

Submit your claim for Double Orphan Pension as soon as possible.

Before you start

You should:

  • check if you’re eligible before your start your claim
  • tell us of your intent to claim
  • set up a Centrelink online account through myGov to claim online - if you already have one you won’t need to do this again

Intent to claim

An intent to claim lets us know you’re seeking payment before you start the process.

If you register an intent to claim, we’ll backdate your payment to the date you submit it. A family member or friend can call on your behalf to register an intent to claim.

If you haven’t claimed Family Tax Benefit for the child, you must submit a claim for this payment. You can claim up to 3 months before the child enters your care.

Register an intent to claim.

Information you need for your claim

You may need to give us:

  • proof of your and your partner’s Australian residency
  • proof of the child’s birth
  • confirmation of the child’s refugee status
  • proof of the change of care
  • the parenting plan or court order
  • confirmation of the child’s identity, or
  • confirmation of the date the child’s parent or parents died

Start your claim

To receive a claim form you can:

Submit your claim

You need to give us:

  • your claim form, and
  • any other documents we’ve asked for

You can do this online, by post or in person at a service centre.

Start your claim online

To make a claim online you need a Centrelink online account linked to myGov.

I have a myGov account linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov to start your claim.

Sign in with myGov

I have a myGov account, but it’s not linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov and select Services. For help, read our online guides to link Centrelink to your myGov account.

I don’t have a Centrelink online account or a myGov account

If you’ve received a payment or service from us, you can use your Customer Reference Number (CRN) to get an online account. Find your CRN on a letter we’ve sent you or your Health Care Card, if you have one. Then, go to myGov to create a myGov account and use your CRN to link Centrelink.

If you don’t know your CRN or you haven't got a payment from us, go to a service centre with photo ID. Tell us you want to register for an online account.

You can then create a myGov account and link Centrelink.

By post

Post your form and the documents we ask for to:

Department of Human Services
Reply paid 7802
Canberra BC ACT 2610

In person

Bring your claim form and documents to a service centre.

Wait for the results

We’ll tell you:

  • if we accept your claim
  • when we’ll start paying you, and
  • how much you’ll receive

You have the right to appeal our decision. Read about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 12 May 2018