Who can receive it

To receive Double Orphan Pension you must meet certain criteria.

You can receive Double Orphan Pension if:

  • you care for the child at least 35% of the time
  • you receive Family Tax Benefit for the child, or you could receive it but:
    • your family's income is too high, or
    • the child receives a prescribed education payment, such as ABSTUDY
  • the child doesn’t receive an orphan pension from the Department of Veterans' Affairs
  • you and the child meet the residence rules, or
  • the child is:
    • younger than 16 years of age, or
    • 16 to 19 years of age, a full time student and doesn’t receive Youth Allowance

One of the following must also apply:

  • the child’s parents or adoptive parents have both died
  • the child is a refugee who hasn’t lived in Australia with their parents, and:
    • has parents outside Australia, or
    • doesn’t know where their parents are
  • one of the child’s parents has died and the other parent is:
    • in prison for at least 10 years
    • in custody and could be sentenced to 10 years in prison
    • in a psychiatric institution or nursing home for an indefinite period, or
    • of unknown whereabouts

There are no income or assets tests.

Page last updated: 23 May 2019