You need to meet eligibility requirements to release your superannuation early.
To get your superannuation released early you must:
- meet a compassionate ground
- be in severe financial hardship
- have a terminal illness
- have less than $200 in superannuation, or
- be a temporary resident leaving Australia for good
- be a first home buyer under the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) First Home Super Saver Scheme
Read more about the early release of superannuation on compassionate grounds on the ATO website.
In this section
If you release your superannuation early, it may impact the amount of other payments you get.
Grounds for early release
You normally can’t use your super until you reach preservation age. In rare cases your super fund may let you have some of the money early.
Early release of super to help a dependant
You can apply for early release of super to help your partner, child or other dependant. It must be for compassionate grounds.