Essential Medical Equipment Payment

A yearly payment to help with energy costs to run medical equipment or medically required heating or cooling.

Who can get it

You can get this payment if you or the person you care for:

  • needs heating, cooling or certain equipment for their medical needs
  • has a Commonwealth Concession Card, and
  • pay for running costs

Dependent children can’t claim this payment.


You must provide a medical certificate and prove:

  • that a government scheme covers the equipment
  • the equipment meets Department of Veterans' Affairs Rehabilitation Appliances Program rules
  • you or the person you care for pays the running costs

Equipment and medical conditions


You can only get the payment if you have a:

  • dialysis machine
  • ventilator
  • respirator
  • parenteral or enteral feeding device
  • oxygen concentrator
  • heart pump
  • suction pump
  • infant apnoea monitor - medically prescribed
  • nebuliser - used daily
  • positive airways pressure device
  • phototherapy equipment
  • air bed vibrator
  • electric wheelchair, or
  • insulin pump

Equipment with non-rechargeable batteries is not eligible.

If we don’t list the equipment you use above, it might be under a different name. Read about different names for essential medical equipment.

Medical conditions

You can get the payment if you experience:

  • spinal cord injury at or above the T7 level
  • stroke
  • brain injury
  • neurodegenerative disorders
  • muscular dystrophies
  • full thickness burns on more than 20% of your body
  • rare sweating disorders including congenital absence or mal-development of sweat glands
  • chronic erythrodermas

Residence rules

If you or the person you care for holds a concession card, you meet the residence rules.

Travelling outside Australia

You’re not eligible for the payment if you:

  • move to another country, or
  • aren’t in Australia when your payment is due
Tell us your travel plans through your Centrelink online account.

Read about payments while outside Australia.

How much you get

The most you can get is $157 each year.

How to claim

You can do this online, by post or at a service centre.

Before you start

You must have your completed claim form together with all supporting documents to submit your claim.

Read information you need to know about your claim.

Start your claim online

To make a claim online you need a Centrelink online account linked to myGov.

I have a myGov account linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov to start your claim.

Sign in with myGov

I have a myGov account, but it’s not linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov and select Services. For help, read our online guides to link Centrelink to your myGov account.

I don’t have a Centrelink online account or a myGov account

If you’ve received a payment or service from us, you can use your Customer Reference Number (CRN) to get an online account. Find your CRN on a letter we’ve sent you or your Health Care Card, if you have one. Then, go to myGov to create a myGov account and use your CRN to link Centrelink.

If you don’t know your CRN or you haven't got a payment from us, go to a service centre with photo ID. Tell us you want to register for an online account.

You can then create a myGov account and link Centrelink.

Read more about Centrelink Customer Reference Numbers.

Express Plus mobile app

Use your Express Plus mobile app to complete your claim and submit documents.

Unable to claim online

If you can’t claim online:

Additional forms

You may need to complete the:

You only need to apply once, unless your personal circumstances change.

Submit your claim

You need to give us:

  • your claim form
  • any other documents we’ve asked for

You can do this online, by post or at a service centre.


Submit your claim and the documents we ask you for online.


Post your completed claim form and the documents we ask for to us. You don’t need a stamp.

In person

Bring your claim form and the documents we ask you for to a service centre.

Wait for the results

We’ll tell you:

  • if we accept your claim
  • when we’ll start paying you
  • how much you’ll get

You have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read about reviews and appeals.

Manage your money

We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt.

Read about how to manage your money.

My bank account is overdrawn

You can get help to manage your money if your bank account is overdrawn

Read about what to do if your account is overdrawn.

Page last updated: 27 August 2018