Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card

A concession card to get cheaper health care and some discounts if you’re a student and had a Carer Allowance Health Care Card when you turned 16.

Who can get it

You can get an Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card if you:

  • are between 16 and 25 years of age
  • are a full time student
  • had a Carer Allowance Health Care Card on the day before you turned 16
  • meet residence rules

This card is not means tested.

What you get

The card gives you:

  • cheaper medicines, and
  • extra discounts from state and local government authorities and some private organisations

The discounts are different in each state and territory. Check with the provider.

When using services covered by Medicare, you’ll need to show your Medicare card and Health Care Card.

Residence rules

On the day you claim for this card, you must:

To keep getting the card

To keep getting this card you must continue to be an Australian resident.

How long you need to have been a resident

You must be an Australian resident and be in Australia for 104 weeks before you can get this card.


You need to complete your claim in full before you can get this concession card.

Read more about claiming an Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card.

Renew your card

This card is valid for 1 year. If you’re still doing full time study when it’s due to expire, you’ll need to renew your card.

How to renew your card

If you call the Carers line and give your details over the phone we can renew your card straight away.

You’ll need to tell us that you are still doing full time study.

If you don’t want to give your details over the phone you will need to submit a new claim.

If you travel outside Australia

You don’t need to tell us if you leave Australia for less than 6 weeks.

You need to tell us about your travel if your leaving Australia:

  • to live in another country, or
  • for more than 6 weeks

We’ll cancel your card when you leave Australia. You’ll need to reapply once you get back to Australia.

How to tell us about your travel plans

The easiest way is using your Centrelink online account through myGov.

Learn how to register for an online account if you don’t already have one.

If you can’t use an online account, tell us your travel plans by:

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Manage your money

We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt.

Read about how to manage your money.

Page last updated: 31 August 2018