Complete the following steps to claim Family Tax Benefit. Before you start, check if you can get it.
Steps to claim Family Tax Benefit
1. Get ready to claim
The easiest way to claim is online. To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.You may need to confirm your identity with us before you start your claim.
If you can’t claim online you can either:
- print and complete the Claim for Paid Parental Leave and Family Assistance form - use this if you’re claiming fortnightly
- print and complete the Claim for an annual lump sum payment of FTB for the 2017–18 financial year form - use this if you’re claiming a lump sum
- call us on the Families line
- go to a service centre.
2. Get your documents ready to claim
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.
3. Make your claim
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Make a claim, then Start a new claim.
- Under Families, select Get started.
- Select Apply for Family Assistance (including Paid Parental Leave).
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes how to submit your supporting documents.
- Submit your claim.
When you're ready:
If you claim fortnightly, read more about your payment choices. If you claim a lump sum, you need to claim before 30 June of the next financial year. Read more about the time limits for submitting lump sum claims and our information booklet.
4. Track your claim
After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- the ID number of your claim
- an estimated completion date
- a link to track its progress.
We’ll also let you know the result of your claim. We'll send a letter to either your:
If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.
If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.