Change of circumstances

If you don’t tell us when your circumstances change, you may be doing the wrong thing.

What to tell us

You need to tell us any of the following happened. You:

  • change your address
  • change your relationship status, for example if you become partnered or separated

  • or your partner don’t have to lodge a tax return.

You also need to tell us if your:

  • or your partner’s income changes
  • child starts or stops full time secondary study from the day they turn 16
  • child leaves your care
  • care arrangements change
  • child dies
  • child is in a prison or juvenile justice centre as a result of a court order.

You need to tell us about a change in your circumstances within 14 days. If you don’t, we may pay you too much and you may have to pay back the money.

How to tell us

You can tell us about a change to your circumstances using one of these self service options:

Read more about what you can do using self service.

If you don’t have access to a self service option please call the families line.

If you deliberately don’t tell us when your circumstances change, you could be committing fraud. Read more about how to avoid committing fraud.

For help, use our online guide to update your child’s education details for Family Tax Benefit.

Page last updated: 11 December 2019