Travel outside Australia

There are rules about how long your Family Tax Benefit can be paid while you or your dependent children travel outside Australia.

Rules for travel outside Australia

If you or your children leave Australia to live in another country, your payments will stop when you leave.

If you or your children leave Australia temporarily, you can generally continue to get your payment for 6 weeks. This includes if your child is studying outside Australia.

After 6 weeks, your Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part A and Part B will stop. If you or your children are overseas for longer than 6 weeks, return to Australia and then leave again within 6 weeks, your FTB will stop when you leave again.

If you're a member of the Australian Defence Force deployed overseas or the Australian Federal Police engaged in peacekeeping or capacity building activities overseas, you may be eligible for an extension of your FTB for up to 3 years.

You may be paid outside Australia for a negotiated period of up to 6 weeks if you hold one of the following visas:

  • a Partner Provisional visa subclass 309 or visa subclass 820
  • a Safe Haven Enterprise visa subclass 790
  • a Temporary Protection visa subclass 785 issued on or after 16 December 2014.

for any of the following approved reasons:

  • to attend an acute family crisis, for example, to visit a critically illĀ family member
  • for humanitarian reasons, for example, to adopt a child or attend custody proceedings
  • to receive eligible medical treatment not available in Australia.

Most temporary protection type visa holders can't be paid FTB Part A or Part B outside Australia for any reason.

When to tell us about your travel

You should tell us if you or your children are leaving Australia for any of the following reasons:

  • are going to live in another country
  • will be away for more than 6 weeks
  • have not been back in Australia for 6 weeks since your last return
  • hold a partner provisional visa or temporary protection type visa.

Otherwise, you don't need to tell us that you or your children are leaving Australia. Australia's immigration department will advise us when you or your children leave and return to Australia.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You will get tailored information on how your payments and concession cards could be affected.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 20 September 2019