Far North Queensland Floods, February 2019 - Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment

Help for people adversely affected by the Far North Queensland Floods, February 2019.

You have until 30 August 2019 to make a claim for the following Local Government Areas:

  • Burdekin
  • Burke
  • Carpentaria
  • Charters Towers
  • Cloncurry
  • Cook
  • Doomadgee
  • Douglas
  • Flinders
  • Hinchinbrook
  • McKinlay
  • Palm Island
  • Richmond
  • Torres
  • Torres Strait Island
  • Townsville
  • Winton, and
  • Wujal Wujal.

What is it

The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment is a one-off payment to help you if a declared disaster significantly affects you. It’s not for minor damage or inconvenience.

You can choose to get this payment in 2 instalments if you prefer.

Who can get it

To get the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment you must:

  • be an Australian resident or hold an eligible visa
  • be 16 years or older at the time of the floods or getting a social security payment
  • have not already received an Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment for the Far North Queensland Floods, February 2019.

You also need to have been adversely affected by the floods. For example:

  • you have been seriously injured
  • you are the immediate family member of an Australian citizen or resident who died
  • flood water has covered the interior floor of your principal place of residence
  • your principal place of residence has been declared structurally unsound
  • sewerage has contaminated the interior of your principal place of residence
  • you are the principal carer of a dependent child who has experienced any of the above.

For the purposes of this payment:

  • your principal place of residence is the main place where you have a right or license to normally reside. It doesn’t include holiday homes or investment properties
  • you’re the principal carer of a child if, on any day of the major disaster, the child is your dependent and has not turned 16. You must have legal responsibility for the day-to-day care, welfare and development of the child.

If you’re a member of a couple, you can both receive this payment. You and your partner will need to complete separate claim forms.

You cannot claim on behalf of a person who has died or their estate.

How much you can get

If you’re eligible you will get:

  • $1,000 per adult
  • $400 for each child under 16 years of age.

How to claim

Complete the following steps to claim Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment.


    1. Get ready to claim

    The fastest way to claim is over the phone.

    To claim:

    Call us on 131 202 to talk to us in languages other than English.


    2. Get your documents ready

    You may need to provide evidence to show you can get this payment. For example, proof of hospital admission or damage to your principal place of residence.

    You can submit this evidence online. We’ll tell you what else we need during the claim process.

    If you’re having trouble getting these documents you should still lodge a claim without delay. You can provide your supporting documents to us within 28 days.

    You may also need to confirm your identity. You can’t do this online. We’ll advise you how to do it during the claim process.

    You will need to provide one document showing Proof of Birth or Proof of Arrival in Australia. Alternatively, you can provide any other approved documents that add up to the value of 50 points. For example:

    • driver’s licence (40 points)
    • bank card/statement (40 points)
    • Medicare card (20 points).

    3. Submit your claim

    Remember, the fastest way to claim is over the phone. You can submit your supporting documents online.

    If you print and complete a claim form, you can submit it and any supporting documents:

    • online
    • by faxing them to 1300 727 760, or
    • by posting them to:
      Emergency Processing Centre
      Reply Paid 7815
      Canberra BC ACT 2610

    Please make sure your name is on your supporting documents so we can identify them.

How to manage your payment

It’s your responsibility to decide to claim for this payment based on your personal circumstances. It’s also your responsibility to ensure that the information you provide in your claim is true and correct.

Other assistance

For further assistance search Payment and Service Finder.

If you’re affected by family and domestic violence:

  • call us on 132 850 and ask to speak with one of our departmental social workers - 8 am and 5 pm (local time) Monday to Friday, and
  • go to our family and domestic violence webpage for more information.

Page last updated: 31 May 2019

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.