Farm Household Allowance

How to claim

Check if you’re eligible before you start your claim.

The easiest way to claim Farm Household Allowance is online. The Rural Financial Counselling Service can help you work through your financial position and understand the information that you’ll need to lodge a claim.


  • find out what you need before you start
  • choose your claiming option
  • submit any documents we ask for
  • submit your claim
  • wait for us to assess your claim and tell you the result

Before you start

Check if you're eligible for Farm Household Allowance.

Watch our Farm Household Allowance videos to find out about claiming.

Information you need

Make sure you have:


Property and real estate

Assets and liabilities

Income and financials

Claiming options


You can claim Farm Household Allowance online. It is secure, convenient and easy to claim online.

Start your claim online

To make a claim online you need a Centrelink online account linked to myGov.

I have a myGov account linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov to start your claim.

Sign in with myGov

I have a myGov account, but it’s not linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov and select Services. For help, read our online guides to link Centrelink to your myGov account.

I don’t have a Centrelink online account or a myGov account

If you’ve received a payment or service from us, you can use your Customer Reference Number (CRN) to get an online account. Find your CRN on a letter we’ve sent you or your Health Care Card, if you have one. Then, go to myGov to create a myGov account and use your CRN to link Centrelink.

If you don’t know your CRN or you haven't got a payment from us, go to a service centre with photo ID. Tell us you want to register for an online account.

You can then create a myGov account and link Centrelink.

If you need help with your Centrelink online account or mobile app, read the online account guides or watch our video demonstrations.

If you need help to submit your claim you can contact a Rural Financial Counsellor on 1800 686 175. Read more about the Rural Financial Counselling Service on the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources website.

Unable to claim online

If you are unable to claim online you can claim Farm Household Assistance by form or by calling the Farmers Assistance Hotline.

By form

Complete the Claim for Farm Household Allowance form.

Supporting documents

If we ask you to provide supporting documents, present them at a service centre within 14 days of your claim.

Submit your claim


If you’re claiming online, you can submit your claim and most supporting documents electronically at the end of the process. Read more about submitting your documents online.

By form

Submit your form and supporting documents within 14 days.

You need to complete your claim in full before you can get a payment. You need to submit all supporting documents before we can start to process your claim.

  • by post to:
Department of Human Services
Rural and Climate Change Services
Reply Paid 7816

Wait for the Results

We'll tell you if:

  • your claim is successful, and
  • any waiting period apply

You have the right to appeal our decision. Read more about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 15 November 2018