How to claim
Complete the following steps to claim Farm Household Allowance. Before you start, check if you can get it.
Steps to claim Farm Household Allowance
1. Get ready to claim
The easiest way to claim is online.
To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.You may need to confirm your identity with us before you start your claim.
Watch our Farm Household Allowance videos to find out about claiming.
If you can’t claim online you can do 1 of these instead:
2. Get your documents ready to claim
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.
3. Make your claim
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Payment and Claims from the menu, then Claims, then Make a claim.
- Under Other, select Get started.
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes how to submit your supporting documents and any other forms you need to complete.
- Submit your claim.
When you're ready:
Submit your form and supporting documents within 14 days.
You need to complete your claim in full before you can get a payment. You need to submit all supporting documents before we can start to process your claim. You can submit them either:
- by posting them to:
Department of Human Services
Rural and Climate Change Services
Reply Paid 7816
CANBERRA BC ACT 2610
- in person, at a service centre.
If you need help to submit your claim you can contact a Rural Financial Counsellor on 1800 686 175. Read more about the Rural Financial Counselling Service on the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources website.
4. Track your claim
After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- your claim was submitted
- the ID number of your claim
- the date we estimate your claim will be complete
- a link to track its progress.
We’ll also let you know the result of your claim. We'll send a letter to either your:
If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.
If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.
To do your business with us, create a myGov account and link to Centrelink.
Confirm your identity when you claim a payment or service.
When you claim Farm Household Allowance (FHA), we’ll ask you for some documents to support your claim.
Page last updated: 31 May 2019