While travelling outside Australia

There are rules about when we can pay your Farm Household Allowance while you are outside Australia.

Rules for Farm Household Allowance outside Australia

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your Farm Household Allowance payment will stop on departure.

If you leave Australia temporarily, your travel has to be for an approved reason or your payment will stop on departure. If it is for an approved reason your payment will continue for up to 6 weeks.

Approved reasons for payment overseas

Farm Household Allowance may be paid outside Australia for these approved reasons:

  • to attend an acute family crisis, for example to visit a family member who is critically ill
  • for humanitarian reasons, for example to adopt a child or attend custody proceedings
  • to get eligible medical treatment that isn’t available in Australia.

If you're attending a training camp with the Australian Defence Force Reserves you can get your payment for the duration of the training.

Telling us about your travel

You should always tell us if you plan to leave Australia.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get information on how your travel may affect your payments and concession cards. You may have to phone us to discuss your circumstances further.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 20 September 2019