Farm Household Allowance

Newly arrived resident's waiting period

If you've recently arrived as a resident in Australia, you may have to wait to get our payments or concession cards.

There have been changes to the Encouraging Self-Sufficiency for Newly Arrived Migrants – extension measure. Read more on the Department of Social Services website.

Waiting period

New residents may have to wait 104 weeks before they can get most of our payments or use our services. This doesn’t apply to family assistance payments.

The waiting period is time spent in Australia as an Australian resident. This means, if you travel overseas, the time you are away from Australia won’t count towards the 104 week waiting period.

If you arrive on a New Zealand passport with a Special Category visa, you need to be granted a permanent resident visa before we can look at time you've spent in Australia. You don’t need a permanent visa to claim:

Read more about New Zealand citizens claiming payments in Australia.

Access some of our services

We'll tell you if you can get our payments and services and if you have a waiting period. If you do, you can still use some of our services.

You can use:

The Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet’s Community Development Programme may help you if you live in a remote area.

If you lived in a country that has an International social security agreement with Australia, you may be eligible for:

Exemptions to the waiting period

You may not have to wait if you're:

You also may not have to wait if you’re a family member of a refugee or humanitarian migrant:

  • at the time that person arrived in Australia, and
  • when you claim a payment or concession.

You may also be exempt from the waiting period because of your circumstances or your visa.

Page last updated: 6 December 2018