Complete the following steps to claim a Foster Child Health Care Card. Before you start, check if you can get it.
You can claim the card when you make a claim for Family Tax Benefit.
If you're not eligible for Family Tax Benefit, you can claim the card separately.
Steps to claim Foster Child Health Care Card
1. Get ready to claim
The easiest way to claim is online.
To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.You may need to confirm your identity and your foster child's identity with us before you start your claim.
If you can’t claim online do one of these:
2. Get your documents ready
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.
3. Make your claim
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Make a claim, then Start a new claim.
- Under Concession Cards, select Get started.
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes how to submit your supporting documents.
- Submit your claim.
When you're ready:
4. Track your claim
After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- your claim was submitted
- the ID number of your claim
- an estimated completion date
- a link to track its progress.
We’ll also let you know the result of your claim. We'll send a letter to one of these. Your:
If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.
If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.