Grandparent Advisers

Extra support for grandparents and non parent carers with ongoing care for children.

How we help

Grandparent Advisers:

Grandparent and non parent carers

You may be a grandparent or non parent carer if you:

  • provide ongoing care for children, and
  • are not their legal parent

Being a grandparent or non parent carer is more than helping the parents with babysitting or school pick-ups.

If you’re a grandparent or non parent carer, you may get extra help such as child care assistance and Medicare services.


Use our Payment and Service Finder to see if you can get a payment.

You can also talk to our Grandparent Advisers about your situation.

You can claim using your Centrelink online account with myGov. Register for an online account if you don’t have one.

You should keep records for your claims, including:

  • formal agreements such as court orders or care arrangements for each child
  • dates, times and documents that show a child is in your care, such as school attendance and health records

If your circumstances change, you must tell us.

Contact us

Call our Grandparent Adviser Line on Freecall™ 1800 245 965. This is free if you call from your home phone.

If you’re deaf or hearing or speech impaired, you can contact us through a TTY phone.

Extra help

If a child is in your care because of state or territory intervention, contact your local, state or territory government for more information.

You can find other government and community services using Service Finder.

Page last updated: 2 October 2018