Youth and long term payment recipients

Your payments may be income managed because you live in the Northern Territory and have been receiving a specific payment.

Your payments can be income managed if you live in the Northern Territory, and you're:

What happens to your money

We'll manage:

  • 50% of your regular payments, and
  • 100% of any advance and lump sum payments

The rest of your payments will be paid as usual.

Exemption from Income Management

You may be able to get an exemption from Income Management.

If you’re exempt, Income Management stops for 12 months unless your circumstances change.

If you don’t have dependent children

You can be exempt if you:

  • are a full time student or apprentice
  • had less than 25% of your basic rate of payment for at least 4 of the last 6 fortnights, or
  • get Special Benefit and are 16 years or older

If you have dependent children

You can be exempt if:

  • we decide you are financially secure, and
  • your children’s immunisations are up to date
  • they are participating in age appropriate activities.

We’ll tell you what you need to give us to get an exemption. This will depend on the age of your children, such as:

  • immunisation records
  • a report from a medical practitioner or nurse
  • a report from an allied health professional such as a speech, occupational or physical therapist
  • evidence they attend preschool, school or childcare services
  • an absentee report from your child’s school – we may need more information if attendance isn’t regular

You’ll have 28 days to provide evidence if requested.

If your partner wants an exemption, they will need to request this themselves.

For more information, call the Income Management line.

Page last updated: 23 April 2019

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.