Low Income Health Care Card

A concession card to get cheaper health care and some discounts if you’re on a low income.

Eligibility basics

  • under the income test limits
  • meet residence rules
If you got a Low Income Health Care Card due to changes to the assets test on 1 January 2017, you will get a new Pensioner Concession Card after 9 October 2017.


Who can get a card

You may be able to get a Low Income Health Care Card if your income is below the limit in the income test.

Read more about who can get a Low Income Health Care Card

Income test

To get a Low Income Health Care Card your income must be under the limit.

Read more about the income test

Residence rules

On the day you apply for a Low Income Health Care Card you must be in Australia.

Read more about residence rules


You and your dependent child can get benefits if you have a Low Income Health Care Card.

Read more about the benefits

Non-income tested card

If your payment was cancelled on 1 January 2017 because of the changes to the pension assets test, you’re eligible for one or more health cards.

Read more about the non-income tested Low Income Health Care Card


Check if you’re eligible before you start your claim.


  • find out what you need before you start your claim
  • fill in your claim
  • submit your claim and any documents we ask for
  • wait for us to assess your claim and tell you the result



Renewing a card

You need to renew your Low Income Health Care Card.

Renewing a Low Income Health Care Card

Digital Wallet

Have your concession or health care card with you everywhere you take your phone.

Read more about the Digital Wallet

Try self service

Do your Centrelink, Medicare and Child Support business using self service options, including our Express Plus mobile apps, online accounts and phone self service.

Read more about using self service.

Change of circumstances

You need to tell us if your circumstances change when you hold a Low Income Health Care Card.

Read more about change of circumstances

Lost or stolen card

Lost or stolen cards can be replaced.

Read more about lost or stolen cards

If you travel outside Australia

There are limits on how long your card remains current when you travel outside Australia. You must keep meeting the rules for this card at all times.

Read more about Low Income Health Care Card if you travel outside Australia

Someone to deal with us on your behalf

If you want someone else to deal with us, you can authorise them to enquire, act or get payments for you.

Read more about someone to deal with us on your behalf


Other concession and health care cards

Concession and health care cards can help you access cheaper health care services and medicines.

Payment and Service Finder

Find, estimate and compare payments and services you may be eligible for. You can also work out what a change in circumstance might mean for the payments and services you currently receive from us.

Start using Payment and Service Finder

Manage your money


We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt.

Read about how to manage your money

Green Army Programme

Provides training and work experience in environment and heritage conservation for young Australians while generating environmental benefits.

Read more about the Green Army Programme

Related payments and services

Page last updated: 11 December 2017