Low Income Health Care Card

Reviews and appeals

If you disagree with a decision we've made, you have the right to ask us to review our decision.

Asking for a review of a decision

You can ask for a review of a decision about your Centrelink payments, Medicare debt or child support. To do this, write to us, call us or visit a service centre.

Read more about:

Feedback and complaints

You can give us feedback or make a complaint at any time.

Read more about feedback and complaints.

Claiming compensation from us

If you believe we have made a mistake that caused you financial loss or injury, you may be able to claim compensation from us.

Read more about claiming compensation from us.

This information was printed Monday 20 May 2019 from https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/low-income-health-care-card/how-claim/reviews-and-appeals It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.

Page last updated: 7 August 2018