Travel outside Australia

There are limits on how long your card remains current when you travel outside Australia. You must keep meeting the rules for this card at all times.

When you can keep your card

If you leave Australia temporarily, your card will remain current for up to 6 weeks.

When you can’t keep your card

We’ll cancel your card if you leave Australia:

  • temporarily and you'll be away for more than 6 weeks
  • if you go to live in another country

When you come back

If you’ve been overseas for more than 6 weeks you need to re-apply for a Low Income Health Care Card.

When to tell us about your travel plans

You need to tell us if:

  • you’re going to live in another country
  • you’ll be away for more than 6 weeks

If you’re going away for less than 6 weeks you don’t need to tell us. The immigration department will tell us when you leave and return.

How to tell us

The easiest way to tell us is using your Centrelink online account through myGov.

Learn how to register for an online account if you don’t already have one.

If you can’t use an online account, tell us your travel plans by:

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 30 April 2019