Payment ended 30 June 2017.
Eligibility & payment rates
Who can get it
You can get this payment if you meet the:
- tax rule
- income rule, and
- residence and other payment rules
You meet the tax rule if in last financial year you earned:
- less than $18,000, or
- more than $18,000, but less than the Low Income Supplement threshold amount
Low Income Supplement threshold amount
Calculate this by:
Tax offsets ÷ 0.15 + $18,000 = Low Income Supplement threshold amount
A tax offset means you don’t have to pay tax. Read about tax offsets on the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website.
Your ATO Tax Notice of Assessment will tell you if you can get a tax offset. It will also tell you how much this offset is.
You get a Tax Notice of Assessment after you’ve lodged a tax return. Read more about Tax Notice of Assessment on the ATO website.
Eligible tax offsets include all offsets except the low income tax offset.
Your adjusted taxable income in the last financial year must be below:
- $30,000 for singles
- $45,000 combined for couples
- $60,000 combined for singles or couples with a dependent child
You meet the residence rules for the Low Income Supplement if you are in Australia on the date you claim and, in the previous financial year, you were:
- an Australian resident at all times
- in Australia for at least 46 weeks, and
- not subject to a newly arrived resident’s waiting period at any time
You meet the other rules for the Low Income Supplement if you:
- didn’t get Family Tax Benefit (FTB) for 39 weeks or more
- didn’t get income support from the Australian Government for more than 39 weeks
- weren’t in prison or a mental health facility for more than 25 weeks last financial year
- aren’t in prison or a mental health facility when you claim, and
- your partner didn’t get the Low Income Family Supplement last financial year
What may be different
You may be able to get the Low Income Family Supplement if you:
- you aren’t eligible for Low Income Supplement because you got Family Tax Benefit for 39 weeks or more in the previous financial year, and
- meet all the other eligibility rules
How much you can get
The Low Income Supplement is a $300 annual payment.
The Low Income Supplement ended on 30 June 2017. We no longer accept claims unless you have special circumstances that delayed your claim.
My bank account is overdrawn
You can get help to manage your money if your bank account is overdrawn.
Self assessment tool
Check if you can get the supplement through the self assessment tool.
From 1 July 2017 the Low Income Supplement will no longer be available. You must submit your claim for the supplement before 30 June 2017.
Payment and Service Finder
Find, estimate and compare payments and services you may be eligible for. You can also work out what a change in circumstance might mean for the payments and services you currently receive from us.
Manage your money
We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt.
Read about how to manage your money.