Mobility Allowance

A regular payment to help with essential travel costs for work, study or looking for work if you have a disability, illness or injury that means you can’t use public transport.

Eligibility basics

  • you are 16 years or older
  • you can’t use public transport without a lot of help
  • you have a disability, illness, or injury
  • you need to travel for study, training, work or to look for work

Eligibility & payment rates

Who can get it

You can get Mobility Allowance if you meet certain criteria.

Read more about who can get Mobility Allowance

Residence rules

On the day you claim Mobility Allowance you must be an Australian resident and in Australia.

Residence rules for Mobility Allowance

How much you get

You can get a standard rate or higher rate of Mobility Allowance depending on your circumstances.

Read more about how much Mobility Allowance you can get


Check if you’re eligible before you start your claim.


  • find out what you need before you start to fill in your claim form
  • submit the form and other documents we ask for
  • wait for us to assess your claim and let you know the results


Managing your payment

Change of circumstances

We need to know about changes that could reduce your Mobility Allowance payment.

Read more about change of circumstances

Advance payment

You may get part of your income support early. This is an advance payment. You pay it back later out of your payments from us.

Read more about advance payment

Someone to deal with us on your behalf

If you want someone else to deal with us, you can authorise them to enquire, act or get payments for you.

Read more about someone to deal with us on your behalf

While travelling outside Australia

To get your payment while outside Australia you must continue to meet the qualification rules for Mobility Allowance.

Read more about Mobility Allowance while travelling outside Australia


Payment and Service Finder

Find, estimate and compare payments and services you may be eligible for. You can also work out what a change in circumstance might mean for the payments and services you currently receive from us.

Start using Payment and Service Finder

Manage your money

Getting control of your money can be hard, but we’ve got some great advice and tools to help. Read more about budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt, to help manage your money.

Regular deductions using Centrepay

You can use our free and voluntary service to pay bills as regular deductions from your Centrelink payments.

Read more about how Centrepay works

Page last updated: 23 March 2018