Mobility Allowance

Claiming Mobility Allowance

You can claim this if you have a disability, illness or injury and can’t use public transport without help.

Before you start

Check if you can get Mobility Allowance before you start your claim.

You can't get the payment if you have a plan with the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

Start your claim

It’s best to start your claim online. Claiming online is secure, quick and easy.

You can claim an advance payment when you submit your claim online. You don’t need to complete a separate form.

Start your claim online

To make a claim online you need a Centrelink online account through myGov. Your myGov account must be linked to Centrelink.

I have a myGov account linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov and select Centrelink to start your claim.

Sign in with myGov

I don’t have a Centrelink online account or a myGov account

If you’ve received a payment or service from us, you can use your Customer Reference Number (CRN). Find your CRN on a letter we’ve sent you and register for a Centrelink online account.

If you don’t know your CRN or you haven't got a payment from us, go to a service centre with photo ID and tell us you want to register for an online account.

You can then create a myGov account and select Services to link Centrelink.

If you can’t claim online

Complete a:

If you don’t have access to a printer, go to a service centre and ask for the forms you need to claim. Or, call our People with disability line and ask us to send you the form.

Submit your claim

You need to give us:

  • your claim
  • any other documents we’ve asked for

You can submit documents we've asked for online or at a service centre.

Submit your claim and other documents within 14 days after you start an online claim.

If we accept your claim, your payment will go into your bank account. Make sure your bank details are correct when you submit your claim.

Submit other documents

We may ask for documents to help us assess your claim, including:

  • a medical report from your doctor - if you already proved to us that you can’t use public transport, you may not need to provide this
  • documents to confirm your identity - you’ll need to do this at a service centre within 14 days. We may reject your claim if you don’t

You can submit some of these through your Centrelink online account through MyGov when you claim.

Wait for the results

We'll tell you:

  • if we accept your claim
  • when we’ll start paying you
  • how much you’ll get, and
  • how long you can claim for

You have the right to appeal our decision. Read about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 12 May 2018