While travelling outside Australia

To get your payment while outside Australia you must continue to meet the qualification rules for Mobility Allowance.

There are rules about how long your Mobility Allowance can be paid when you travel outside Australia.

Rules for Mobility Allowance outside Australia

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

If you leave Australia temporarily, you can continue to be paid for up to 6 weeks, as long as you continue to meet your activity test requirements.

When to tell us about your travel

You should tell us you are leaving Australia if you:

  • are going to live in another country
  • will be away for more than 6 weeks, or
  • will cease meeting your activity test requirements within 6 weeks of your departure

Otherwise, you do not need to tell us that you are leaving Australia. Australia's immigration department will advise us when you leave Australia and when you return.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get tailored information on how your payments and concession cards could be affected.

Read more about payments paid while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 20 September 2019