The amount of Newborn Upfront Payment and Newborn Supplement you receive depends on your family’s income and how many children you have.
Newborn Upfront Payment
This is a lump sum payment of $550 per child. It's not taxable.
This is an ongoing payment for up to 13 weeks. It’s not taxable.
The amount you receive depends on how many children you have and your family's income.
For your first child, the maximum amount you can receive is $1,649.83. For subsequent children the maximum amount is $550.55.
If you’re eligible for the base rate or more of FTB Part A, you’ll receive the maximum rate of Newborn Supplement. If you’re eligible for less than the base rate of FTB Part A, you’ll receive a reduced rate of Newborn Supplement.
We won’t pay you for any days during the 13 weeks that you stop being eligible.
If you have a multiple birth, including twins, you may receive the following for each child:
- Newborn Upfront Payment, as a lump sum of $550, and
- Newborn Supplement, at a maximum rate of $1,649.83 even if you already have other children
This also applies if you:
- adopt more than 1 child as part of the same adoption process, or
- have more than 1 child younger than 1 come into your or your partner's care as part of the same process
If you’re also eligible for Parental Leave Pay, you can receive Parental Leave Pay for 1 child and Newborn Upfront Payment and Newborn Supplement for other children.
If you share the care of your child, both carers may be eligible for Newborn Upfront Payment and Newborn Supplement. The amount each parent or carer receives depends on your circumstances.
If you receive FTB Part A as a blended family, we’ll pay your Newborn Upfront Payment and Newborn Supplement based on the percentage of FTB you receive.
A blended family is a family with 2 or more dependent children and
- at least one of those children is a child of one member of the couple, from a previous relationship, or
- at least one of the other children is a child of this relationship or the child of the other member of the couple from a previous relationship